Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sport Sports and More Sports







It’s been a while since I last updated sooo lots to say, lots to say.  Last weekend we went to a Daegu Samsung Lions baseball game.  It was incredible.  We had great weather and there was a big group of us that went.  I, along with thousands of other crazy Koreans, sported lovely blue polka-dot hats for 500 Wan ($0.50) to shield ourselves from the rays.  Of course they would have these here.  It was a true blessing though due to the fact that I forgot my trusty sun-umbrella that day.  They ended up wining the game and Elyse and I were the pro’s of the hour.  All of our friends from the UK had never experienced a baseball game so we were teaching them all the rules to the game.  Elyse was actually surprisingly full of knowledge on the sport! Very impressive. 

 

The next day, we had another sports day at one of the universities just outside of the city.  The guys we hang out with are in a foreigner league and had a game.  Because of the long day and night before, some people had a bit of a rough go, but it was still an exciting game.  They unfortunately lost, but I think they learned their lesson for next time, no staying out till sunrise the night before.  Crazy bats. Anyway, it was actually really nice to go outside of the city for a bit.  The university was located in amongst the mountains and had a spectacular view from the stadium.  The cheering sections consisted of all the ladies and we actually extended our spirit by offering our leftover pizza to some Korean kids.  We said they could have it as long as they cheered for the ORANGE team.  Oh and by orange, we mean hunter/construction worker/neon biker reflective gear orange.  Whoa…were they ever bright jersey’s.  But at least we wouldn’t forget who was who.

 

After the game, some of us went to the Outback Steakhouse and then head to Billibow for some bowling/pool.  We played in teams and Elyse and I actually did really well! Also, when we were there, there was a birthday party being celebrated, and they did a crazy fire show.  They were throwing bottles up like in the movie Cocktail with Tom Cruise.  They used fire and did crazy tricks.  It was quite the show. 

 

The week was a typical workweek.  (It’s funny how I can say that now that I have been here for more than a month…WEIRD!) Elyse and I have a rotation of orange kimbob shops that we got to for dinner so we don’t out-do one or the other.  We had one close to the hospital, one close to downtown and I just found another one by the government office I work at to add to the mix.  I am doing good on the hobby front.  I am officially almost done by 3rd novel out here.  Impressive isn’t it?  As most of you know, I am not a loyal reader.  I always start and NEVER finish books…so I am pretty impressed with myself.  I always read on my commute to make the time fly!

 

On Wednesday my supervisor called me to see if I could fill-in for a part time teacher who called in sick.  So I had to go in and teach some kids for an hour and a half.  Man am I ever glad that I primarily teach adults because I don’t know how Elyse and the rest of them deal with them.  They are crazy kids.  And the fact that they don’t understand what I am saying is so tough.  My Thursday night class was insane too.  It doesn’t help that there are almost 20 of them and they are all at a really beginner level English.   But I am learning as I go and getting advice from other teachers all the time.  I am trying my hardest to not wish anything bad on each of the devil children in my class…they are the typical disruptive, mocking, sit-at-the-back-of-the-room boys who annoy the crap out of me.  And I don’t quite have perfect control over the class because as I was trying to discipline Matt (the ringleader of the devilish boys), the others all went crazy behind my back throwing umbrellas and teasing the girls.  After I noticed that Matt wouldn’t even do what I told him to do (stand in the corner – it sounds mean but you should see this kid) I just gave up on that…and continued teaching for the benefit of the good students. I still need to work on that and get some tips from other teachers.  Although I did try a little bit of group punishment which seems to work.  They are on teams and lose points every time Matt is a little devil and the rest of his team starts yelling at him…its great.  After Wednesday’s class that I covered, I was so relieved to go to my adult night class because there were only 5 of them there and we all decided to just visit and practice our English through conversation, which was so nice.  We are all getting to know each other really well and I am enjoying it so much.  Ahhh how I love teaching adults!

 

Thursday night Elyse, Hannah and I got dressed up all perty and went to finally see Sex and the City! We went to the late show so before the movie, we went out and got some wine at “That” bar and then had some CoSmO’s of course at the Holy Grill.  The Holy Grill is a restaurant owned by a Canadian and he had the Stanley Cup game playing.  In Canada, the game had already been played and the results were out, so Moose (the owner) was wearing his Red Wings Jersey and was sure to cheers Elyse and I about the win.  Elyse wasn’t too happy being a Maple Leaf fan, but I enjoy the Wings, so I was happy.  The movie was great and we had a spectacular girly night.

 

More to come on this past weekend…which was a long weekend…yay to Korean holidays!

No comments: